Barcelona’s main use is high quality in-shell nuts. Does well in climates that are mild to average.
Hazelnuts prefer mild summers and cool winters (temperate climate) and do best when a number of conditions are met: annual rainfall of over 750 mm or additional irrigation especially while establishing after planting; and protection from wind and high summer temperatures.
- Pollination Group: Male and female flowers on the same tree don’t always flower at the same time so it is best to have other varieties present in particular: Hall’s Giant, Tondo Di Giffoni, Lewis
- Uses: eating, cooking, roasting
- Harvest: nuts fall (Feb to March)
- Chill requirement: Requires about 1,200 hours of 5 to 7 deg C. Female flowers are vulnerable to frosts below -5 deg C especially when opening.
- Features: vigorous tree, not many suckers
Reference 3: Lyle, S. (2006) Fruit & nuts: A comprehensive guide to the cultivation, uses and health benefits of over 300 food-producing plants. Timber Press, Oregon USA.