We want every customer to have a great time buying, planting and enjoying the trees we grow and sell. We know that a small percentage of deciduous fruit trees will fail to grow away in spring regardless of the gardener’s skill and knowledge. We have seen this over the years when some trees we and other experienced gardeners plant don’t wake up after winter. We call them “sleeping beauties”. The proportion is very low, we think less than 1 or 2 in 100 trees, except for persimmonsˆ, but it does happen.
So we are introducing a replacement guarantee to support our customers unlucky enough to end up with a “sleeping beauty”. (In our experience no amount of kissing - or cursing - will wake them up!)
The guarantee is straightforward and within the limitations stated below will be honoured without question. Here are the details.
If your tree fails to “wake up” by November 30th in the year of purchase, i.e. the buds don’t swell, it doesn’t flower and leaves do not appear we will replace it free of charge the following season, including free delivery. No questions asked. There are conditions:
1. We believe around 1% to 2% of bare-root deciduous plants (1 or 2 out of 100) may fail even when planting and growing conditions are satisfactory. So, to be as fair as possible we will replace up to 4% of plants (i.e. 4 out of 100) purchased per customer per year.† For example a customer who has purchased 38 trees in a single year (in one or more orders) can claim 2 replacement trees under this warranty; a customer who purchases from 1 to 25 trees can claim a single replacement tree.
2. To claim your guarantee: return the failed tree(s), as described below*, and replacements or agreed substitutes will be sent the following winter to the address where the purchased tree was originally sent completely free of charge or at our discretion you will receive a Heritage Fruit Trees gift voucher of equal value which can be redeemed on our website.
3. Proof of purchase is required in the form of a copy of our Order Confirmation email or your credit card statement or other documentary evidence enclosed with the returned items as well as the nursery label that was supplied attached to the original tree.
4. Trees that are “on sale” or discounted at the time of purchase may not be replaced by this guarantee, however a gift voucher equal to the purchase value will be supplied.
5. This is a one-time replacement which means the replacement tree is not also guaranteed.
6. This guarantee is in addition to remedies available under Australian Consumer Laws.
7. This guarantee is in addition to our other Terms & Conditions.
† Our plant guarantee is intended to protect customers from the low incidence of unexplained, natural plant failure observed in young, bare-rooted plants. It does not cover the more common causes of failure that include incorrect planting and handling practices, drying out between delivery and planting, brush-cutter attack and force major events such as pest animal damage, flood or fire. We trust our customers not to rip us off!
* Trees must be removed from the ground intact, be free of soil and clean, have the roots enclosed in a plastic bag and kept damp with some moistened newspaper, then securely wrapped in plastic, (builders’ plastic is an inexpensive and suitable material) and sent by post to Heritage Fruit Trees, PO Box 35 Beaufort Vic 3373. Postage cost is the customer's responsibility. Returned trees must include documentary evidence of purchase and the plant label supplied with the tree. Trees returned for credit must reach us by December 14th in the year of purchase. Email us at email@example.com when the parcel is dispatched.
ˆ Persimmons are very unreliable from bare-root so we have stopped selling them until we can come up with a better way to prepare them for sale.